Saint Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church (DE)

2300 West Huntington Drive, Wilmington, DE 19808
Phone: (302) 995-6775
Orthodox Church in America (OCA)

In 1913, a small group of Orthodox Christian immigrants from the Austro-Hungarian areas of Europe, Russia, and Ukraine met to consider forming a Russian Orthodox parish in Wilmington. In 1915, a larger group of Orthodox Christians under the guidance of Fr. John Zloben purchased a row house at 431 South Claymont Street in Wilmington’s Southbridge neighborhood and converted it into a house of worship. The church grew, and in 1950 the row house chapel at 431 South Claymont Street was torn down and replaced with a brand-new church edifice. In 1962, six more acres of farmland on Kirkwood Highway were purchased by members. The new church was completed and dedicated in 1980.

Today’s parish life includes a full cycle of church services throughout the year, educational opportunities (Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, Bible Study, Inquirer’s Class, and catechumen tutorials) and ministries such as altar servers, choir, chanters, readers, the Sisterhood, Pierogie makers, youth activities, young adult campus ministry (OCF), prosphora bakers, church council, library, and bookstore. There are new converts, new arrivals from “traditional Orthodox countries,” and new Orthodox families who either moved into the area or transferred into the pan-Orthodox parish.

Sunday School is at 8:00 a.m., Orthros at 8:40 a.m., and Divine Liturgy at 9:00 a.m. Vespers and Confession take place every Saturday at 5:00 p.m.

Services are in English.